Wednesday, March 9, 2011

all that's sacred #77


One thing I love about music is its ability to inspire a myriad of emotions: happiness, excitement, affection, anger, resolve, you could go on and on... But I think the one thing that sets music apart from all other artforms is its ability to heal and empathize when you are struggling and in a dark place. Somehow knowing that another has walked a similar path can be of great comfort.

Today's ATS was motivated by a letter from an old friend congratulating me on my return to the podcast and commiserating about the current job market. At one point in the letter, he joked that maybe I should do an unemployment-themed podcast someday. Given the origins of ATS, I thought this was an idea worth pursuing. These musical expressions on #77 have always helped me process things mentally and emotionally and have been great friends to me over the years.

Cheers! Donny



Habit - 8/20/00 Cincinnati, OH
It Rains On Me - 6/11/08 West Palm Beach, FL
Trouble - 3/29/98 Los Angeles, CA
Millworker - 10/3/04 Grand Rapids, MI
Sleight Of Hand - 9/13/06 Bern, Switzerland
Unemployable - 9/11/06 Paris, France
Education - 9/26/06 Zagreb, Croatia
Hold On (acoustic) - Vs/Vitalogy reissue (2011)
My City Of Ruins - 12/6/09 Washington, DC
Indifference - 3/9/94 Pensacola, FL

3 comments:

Greg said...

Great intro! PJ is WINNING!

Teresa said...

Another great job! This one hit a little close to home, the mentioning of dark times and how bad things come in waves,is what ive been going through,with my dad fighting cancer,and this time they only give him months to live,its easy to want to hide and shut everyone and everything out ,if it wasnt for pearl jams music to pull me up and out and your podcast,id be very lost.The way Ed sings My city of a ruins makes me cry every single time! Thank you im not giving up.Great job! Donny :)

David Scott said...

Donny...keep up the good work! Your podcasts are really interesting and well done and you're great to listen to, so keep them coming. I've learned some great stuff about the band from listening (catching up) to your commentary and I've been turned on to some great music. Even though I considered myself a pretty darn hard-core fan, there are so many shows and versions of songs I was completely unaware of until stumbling onto All That's Sacred. I've been promoting the show to others, too. Thanks for all 77.