Wednesday, December 2, 2009

all that's sacred #29


The holiday season is upon us and I thought it only appropriate to make episode #29 a playlist of some of Pearl Jam’s yearly gifts via the annual Holiday 45 exclusive to Ten Club members. A couple of these aren’t “Christmas” songs per se, but still felt wintery and fitting. I’ll be back with the commentary next week, but figured I’d sit this one out. I thought some of you might want to have this for a little background ambiance while you gift-wrap, visit, and/or imbibe in the coming weeks – I’d just be getting in the way of the music.

I also included two Six Degrees of PJ tracks to mix it up a bit. While there is an easy connection to the artist on the first track, the second track ends the podcast and requires a little more analysis – although you don’t have to be a rock historian to connect the dots. While this closing track was recorded over 40 years ago, it’s regrettably and eerily still relevant to today – and a subtle reminder that we still live in a crazy world despite all the feel-good holiday sentiments. The more things “change”, the more they stay the same…

Best wishes to you all this holiday season and I hope you enjoy #29.

Peace. Donny


Strangest Tribe – 1999 Holiday 45
Let Me Sleep – 1991 Holiday 45
Angel – 1993 Holiday 45
Ave Maria – Six Degrees of PJ: Chris Cornell w/ Eleven
Someday At Christmas – 2004 Holiday 45
Santa God – 2007 Holiday 45
Don’t Believe In Christmas – 2002 Holiday 45
Jingle Bells – 2007 Holiday 45
Ramblings – 1991 Holiday 45
7 O’Clock News/Silent Night – Six Degrees of PJ: Simon & Garfunkel

6 comments:

zeynox said...

love it...

b said...

I plan on working on my Christmas cards soon, this will definitely be the soundtrack for it :)

Anonymous said...

I got the last song with the 6 degrees. I think Matt Chamberlain was the drummer for Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians, and Edie Brickell is married to Paul Simon.

All That's Sacred said...

Happy Holidays!

Nice connecting the dots to S&G! :)

G-rock said...

I wonder how I could stumble across the Chris Cornell "Ave Marie" download....

All That's Sacred said...

Shoot me an email, g-rock...