Wednesday, February 10, 2010

all that's sacred #39


While all is still quiet on the Pearl Jam news front, I figured this week would be an opportune time to further explore the influence of Ed’s favorite band and Super Bowl entertainers: The Who. The Who’s influence on the band – and Ed especially – is undeniable and well-documented. Despite already featuring a number of Who covers on the podcast, there is still a lot of material available to showcase. We also take the occasion to bust out a Six Degrees of PJ tune that clearly demonstrates that, in their prime, The Who were indeed the World’s Greatest Rock Band.

I plan to get to many listener suggestions in the near future so bear with me if you haven’t heard your request that you submitted. On that note, I want to put the call out for some help with a theme I’d like to explore. A few weeks ago, I off-handedly said songs that explore escapism and use road imagery could be an entire podcast in itself. Having had some time to let the idea marinate, I think that could be a great show. Coming up with the songs is easy – MFC, RVM, Thumbing My Way, Gone, etc. What I really need help with is specific versions you all think are the best and why. I can’t wait to see what y’all suggest and uncover. I’m already looking forward to this in the coming weeks.

Please send your suggestions to me via email or the podcast voicemail at 707-SACRED9 (707-722-7339). Plus, remember you can now get ATS gear with all the proceeds going to charity. Lastly, don’t forget to check out and follow the podcast on Facebook and Twitter.

Thanks for the continued support. Hope you dig #39.

Cheers! Donny


My Generation – 2/22/92 Newcastle, England
I Can’t Explain – 11/7/95 San Diego, CA
Squeezebox – EV at Daltrey Sings Townshend – 2/24/94 New York, NY
A Quick One, While He’s Away – EV w/ MMJ – 9/19/06 Torino, Italy
Young Man Blues – Six Degrees of PJ: The Who – Live At Leeds
Naked Eye – The What – 11/5/96 Groningen, Holland
Leaving Here – 6/19/95 Morrison, CO
Let’s See Action – EV w/ The Who – 11/27/00 London, England

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donny,
Your podcast is so great, honestly, it's so much fun to hear a new one each week and just KUDOS :)

*Btw, maybe you or someone around here could answer something that's been bugging me... what is that amazing piece of music playing as the intro to the 2009-08-11 Sheperd's Bush Empire show?
& where can I find it?

:)
thanks!
avi

Anonymous said...

Donny,
I've been following your podcasts from just about the beginning...great work! Hope to see you again at an upcoming show.

Dirty Tom

All That's Sacred said...

Thanks avi and DT!

avi, I think the intro music was the same for the whole 2008/2009 tour: Metamorphosis II by Philip Glass. Awesome piano piece. I found it on iTunes. :)

Anonymous said...

Let's See Action!

Anonymous said...

first time listener of the podcast, long-time PJ fan. very cool! i'll be listening for a long time

-noel

Unknown said...

Great podcast. The WHO rock, and PJ always does them justice when they do there covers.

Eric M Kaufman aka trees 10c said...

your professional and respectful and grateful you are representing what i and other fans like to see . peace brother.i will be calling with a request in the future.for some meditative set list music from or covered by PEARL JAM

All That's Sacred said...

Wow! Lots of comments this week! Thanks new listeners; thanks longtime listeners. The Who do indeed rock! Appreciate everyone tuning in! :)

Anonymous said...

As always Donnie, you rock & add another awesome addition to my PJ experience. BTW problem I was havin ordering Tee was due to hubby closing bank acct!? wtf! Anyway have new acct & as soon as ATM card arrives will be "re" placing that order.

Keep doin what ya do & thanks! Cindy aka Mrs.Smiley

Anonymous said...

Donny-

Saw the who in the 90's on the quadrophrenia revisited tour. I wasn't so impressed. Saw them again at the Virgin Fest at Pimlico and of course it was just Pete and Roger, but the show was beyond any expectations. Amazing walk through their catalog. I believe Tea & Theatre was their last song of the set, which in my opinion might sum up their journey up until now. Yes, no Keith, no John, but still rocked it. So I disagree with your statement that the who can't rock it anymore. Looking forward to their new album. Love the podcasts. Enjoying them as I do my work. planr4321@aol.com...John